Home Sweet Home

April 28, 2016

Forever 21 Off the Shoulder Top, GAP Stretched 1969 Distressed True Skinny Ankle Jean (also love these!), Steve Madden Vendetaa Cutout Bootie, Bauble Bar Acrylic Monogram Curb Bracelet, Bauble Bar Priyanka Drops Earrings, Sephora Rouge Balm - Gentle Coral

I've officially been a Brooklyn resident for 4 months now. Yay! And it definitely feels like home. I'm familiar with all the restaurants, coffee shops and the park around the corner. I'm used to my commute to work and I'm loving how much later I can sleep in because that same commute. Even though I'm absolutely loving Brooklyn, there's something about going home home. Your hometown. Like some, I grew up in a small town, it's literally considered a village because it's so small but I grew up knowing the mailman by name, selling lemonade on the corner without it being a safety issue and riding my bike with all the kids on the block. I loved it. That was my childhood.

Waking up early for summer swim team practice at the town pool, catching fireflies as then sun set, and spending hours at the town library -- that was my childhood. Many years have passed since I've done any of those things. I traded a bicycle for a car, the library for the mall, and my bedroom for my dorm room and eventually a new apartment in a new state. Even though times have changed those memories will last a lifetime and it always feels good to go home.

I remember listening to Carrie Underwood's song titled "Thank God for Hometowns" and it resonated with me so much that I had it on repeat for a week. I might not have grown up in Oklahoma like she did but I understood wholeheartedly what she meant.

So many things change in our lifetimes but sometimes you need to go back home to remember who you are, and where you've come from to remind yourself to be thankful for how far you've come.

Xo,
Maia

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Petite Principle. Design by FCD.